Thread: My cure for failed emissions tests

Platinum_Member The White Rabbit Diesel's Avatar

Default My cure for failed emissions tests

So I failed my first emissions test. Everything else was fine except the HC portion. You need a 1.200 or lower to pass and I had a 1.426. Only .2 and some change. So I went on a mission to figure a cheap way to pass, hence my solution. So I started out with going to my work, Advance Auto, and bought 2 cans of seafoam. You may be able to get away with one. I poured a full can into my 3/4 full gas tank of 91 pump gas. Ran about 50 miles with it. Then the day before I ran some seafoam in my intake. Like i said, you might be able to get away with just using one can putting in 3/4 of the can in the gas tank and run the rest in the intake. So I sucked some seafoam from a cup into my egr line into my intake. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then fired it up and reved moderately. There are how-to's on youtube. The one with the WRX I found to be the best one. Then right before I went to the emissions place I put some ISO-HEET, little red bottle, in my gas tank. Drove there which is about 5 miles away and passed with 0.816. Like I said it may have been much to use a bottle and a half of seafoam and im not sure if the ISO-Heet was really needed but it was only like $2.50 for it and it dropped everything down a ton. So I hope that helps! good luck

P.S. This is done with a catalytic converter still.
    The White Rabbit
    Evo VIII - Build in Process - 2.4LR w/ T4 6766

Evo X w/ FP Red - DailyDriver
    455hp/365tq VD on 93oct - Self tuned

Silver_MemberHigh on Boost project_skyline's Avatar

If you didn't pass emissions with a cat then your tune is probably jacked up or you have some air leaks.

Silver_Member Zombie Pirate evo_pirate's Avatar

Lol at the HEAT

Kinda cool but not worth the headache. plus down in Denver we get hit with a visual inspection as well so you might as well go to your tuner, have him tweak the tune and pass. But that's cool there is another way. Or we could all be like Project and move to Bum fuck egypt and not have emissions.

I think its good info and yes, HEET does work.
    http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...t/viewall.html
    Not alot but if you're close, it will help as you can see proven results in that article.

Another way to test for high HC is to disconnect your WG so that the flapper is free or wire it wide open and the car won't boost on the rollers. Worked for my Eclipse GSX 2 times.

I thank you for the information! I was looking for and could not find. You helped me!

Good discussion. Surprised how effective these seafoams were.