Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local autocross... does it exist?? Where do I find it???

Default Local autocross... does it exist?? Where do I find it???

So....
    I want to try autocross.
    I want my wife to try it too.

I do NOT want to haul my lazy ass from Longmont to PPIR <or God forbid the western slope> just to give it a go and see if I like it.

A couple years back I saw the Miata boys running at the Twin Peaks mall. Does this still happen??

Obviously I've checked out the RMSS page/schedule.

Anybody have any info they want share????

Thanks,
    In advance.
    Eric

rmsolo.org

front range airport, east of denver and ppir is the 2 most common places now.
    being a lazy ass is not the key. it'll show when you race.

Quote Originally Posted by risque View Post
    rmsolo.org
    Been there read that schedule.

Anybody else have anything??

You can also look at the Rocky Mountain BMW Club... they do some autocrossing also. You will find that there are only 2 locations locally. There is PPIR (large parking lot and usually around 60 second courses) or Front Range Airport (about 15 miles East of DIA, fairly large piece of tarmac- usually around 40-50 second courses). Those are the only 2 places to autocross. You are more than will to come to an event and ride with me! Just let me know if you would like to take a ride as I usually have a couple of riders booked before the events... :-) I am not going to next weekend down at PPIR, but I will likely make the entire rest of the season for the BMW club and SCCA events...

BTW, autocrossing is very addictive!

check the NASA site, they have some at the world arena throughout the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Racing Sparky View Post
    You can also look at the Rocky Mountain BMW Club... they do some autocrossing also. You will find that there are only 2 locations locally. There is PPIR (large parking lot and usually around 60 second courses) or Front Range Airport (about 15 miles East of DIA, fairly large piece of tarmac- usually around 40-50 second courses). Those are the only 2 places to autocross. You are more than will to come to an event and ride with me! Just let me know if you would like to take a ride as I usually have a couple of riders booked before the events... :-) I am not going to next weekend down at PPIR, but I will likely make the entire rest of the season for the BMW club and SCCA events...

BTW, autocrossing is very addictive!

Id take a ride, i wanna autocross one day when i have the money to do some upgrading

Platinum_Member Evo of Doom EGbeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickIX View Post
    Id take a ride, i wanna autocross one day when i have the money to do some upgrading
    I've said this before, but there's no need to upgrade anything on your car to try autocross, have a lot of fun, and decide if it's something you want to pursue further or not.

You need a valid driver's license, four non-snow tires that aren't bald, and money (roughly 50 bucks for an SCCA event, a bit more for BMWCCA events but you usually get eight runs instead of four-five for SCCA autoxes). That's it. You don't even need a helmet—loaner helmets are available on-site for people who are just starting out.

Also, coming to an event to watch or catch rides = FREE
    The Evo of Doom's best lap times: 1:28.9 @ HPT (2.1M "NASCAR" config), 1:31.9 @ MPH, 1:35.9 @ PMP, 1:55.5 @ HPR

i wanna go to a event i say do some upgrades because i have a about to blow front left strut

Quote Originally Posted by EGbeater View Post
    four non-snow tires that aren't bald
    My first race was on snow tires...
    Who's ever heard of a Matrix anyway?

Platinum_Member Evo of Doom EGbeater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hubele View Post
    My first race was on snow tires...
    The SCCA Solo rulebook just says general stuff like "Tires must be in good condition, with no cord or belts showing or cracks in the tread or sidewall" and "Each tire must have measurable tread depth" and "Tires may not have cord visible at any time during competition":

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/..._Rules_May.pdf

So technically snow tires are allowed, but if I were working Tech, or the Event Chief, I definitely wouldn't let someone run on studded snows (if we damage the site surface and lose the ability to hold autox events there, that would be WAY worse than turning away/potentially angering one participant).

And, even w/o studs, snow tires aren't much fun to try to corner on anyway—it's like trying to have sex with a limp dick—so it'd be a waste of time/money/tires, in my opinion.
    The Evo of Doom's best lap times: 1:28.9 @ HPT (2.1M "NASCAR" config), 1:31.9 @ MPH, 1:35.9 @ PMP, 1:55.5 @ HPR