Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge Accepted (my next motor build)

Platinum_Member FarFromSane WANTED's Avatar

Default Challenge Accepted (my next motor build)

So to give some background on this build, I don't have to do this at all. My car and current engine run just fine without issues. What spurned this was a "conversation" I had with a shop owner I had a while back where he told me how I was not capable of putting together a competitive motor and how I had no idea what I was doing. Mind you, this particular shop owner likes to talk big, but can't produce what he preaches and overstates his abilities. I actually laughed to conversation off and called it a day. This was months ago.
    But as we know, time is a funny thing, as is boredom. I have been extremely listless lately and was for some time pursing the idea of buying a GTR or a new GT500. Life, however, threw me a curveball and I ended up replacing my wife's Subaru instead with a 2013 Taurus SHO, which is a very capable car that lacks a lot of aftermarket support at present. So when an opportunity to get my hands on a 2.4 bottom end out of an 05 eclipse reared it's head at a price that was crack head low, the timing couldn't have been better.

Meet my new "Chunk O' Shit"

The whole motor was sitting outside for a a decent amount of time. I was able to talk down the price on account that I really didn't want the head. Luckily, he happened to want money enough that he caved. I'm glad he did.

A closer look reveals that this was definitely a bargain

I couldn't believe it. No cylinder wall scarring and the rotating assembly move absolutely freely. A very positive sign indeed.

Time to strip it down

Oh goody, bearings still had oil and no scarring. So far, so good.

Obviously it have some water sitting in it for enough time to form that much rust. It'll be getting a nice hot tanking really soon which should clear that up.

PAYDIRT!!! It was an absolute crap shoot for me if the block would be in good enough shape to use, and at what I paid, this is an absolute bonus.

Ready to get soaked for a while. Sh'e a dirty girl

And all of this crap is going right in the trash

Things are just getting started. It is my intention to take this build slow and take my time. The goal is to have the whole thing done and dropped in by next summer. It is still my intent to push a few limits. In fact, there are going to be quite a few parts transferred over from my stock bore stock head 2.3 build. But this time around, I'm going to get serious.
    Horsepower is no substitute for brains, fu$%ers!!

FORTES FORTUNAS ADIUVAT

Platinum_Member The White Rabbit Diesel's Avatar

Nice man. I wonder if it was my old eclipse :p
    Good luck with the build. Nice and slow and doing it right will prove to be the better route for sure.
    The White Rabbit
    Evo VIII - Build in Process - 2.4LR w/ T4 6766

Evo X w/ FP Red - DailyDriver
    455hp/365tq VD on 93oct - Self tuned

God my garage is just trashed. Time to get it cleaned up too while I'm at it :lol:

FORTES FORTUNAS ADIUVAT

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Nice man. I wonder if it was my old eclipse :p
    Good luck with the build. Nice and slow and doing it right will prove to be the better route for sure.
    If your eclipse somehow wound up in El Paso, TX, then maybe.

FORTES FORTUNAS ADIUVAT

Platinum_Member The White Rabbit Diesel's Avatar

Haha nah I just realized that's out of an 05. Mine was a 00. Same generation though. Fun first car haha
    The White Rabbit
    Evo VIII - Build in Process - 2.4LR w/ T4 6766

Evo X w/ FP Red - DailyDriver
    455hp/365tq VD on 93oct - Self tuned

Upgrade your engine, put old parts in wifes "new" engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrtstuff89 View Post
    Upgrade your engine, put old parts in wifes "new" engine?
    With the exception "MaYbE" the turbo, There's not much that can either be upgraded or transferred to the SHO. I'm playing with the idea of selling my shortblock, but we'll see. Apparently, unmolested 2.0 blocks are getting rather hard to find.

FORTES FORTUNAS ADIUVAT

Just to kill a bit of speculation, the shop I had my "discussion" with was not nor is not a board sponsor. I'm not going to name the actual shop or the owner, and do bear in mind that I've dealt with a great many shops and shop owners over a few states, most of which I am rather cordial with. Past that, nothing more need be said about that topic.

Jon

FORTES FORTUNAS ADIUVAT

Platinum_Member Shocker pistolpete59916's Avatar

I wish the 4b11 blocks were as easy/cheap to find :/

So a small update, after trying my damnedest to clean out a good bit of the rust in the coolant galleys and failing miserably, I enlisted the help of Jacks Transmissions while at the same time having oil squirters machined in. I've been wrestling with whether or not to do this and finally decided on playing it safe. While I'm a strong believer in simplicity and eliminating the need for parts that could fail, I see no harm in providing extra oiling to the cylinders to promote greater longevity.

FORTES FORTUNAS ADIUVAT