Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have the "Evo Electrical Gremlins", any help?

Default I have the "Evo Electrical Gremlins", any help?

Last weekend while we were getting that beautiful mesh of snow and rain, my wipers decided to pack up while driving through Cherry Creek. I searched through the Evom forums and found this to be a common problem with VIII's, and it is sourced to a non-weather-protected connection inside the diver's side kick-panel starts corroding in wet weather. To remedy this, you have to hard-wire the connection and sauder the wires together. I was hoping somebody could pint me in the direction of somebody who could fix this, or finding somebody who has experienced these issues and could help repairing the connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thread on the problem:
    http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...s-how-fix.html

Where in town are you located? I might be able to help. I do a lot of electrical on the daily.

I am in the Greenwood Village area. I am going attempt getting around the true problem and just clean the connector out. If that doesn't work, ill shoot you a PM to work something out.

You can try to soak the connectors in baking soda mixed with water. That usually removes most of the corrosion. Then apply electric grease to keep it sealed better and maybe wrap with some tape.

Video on cleaning connectors.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuT5PEjsCgA

You can also bypass and cut out the connector by doing small length wires with barrel crimps and easy to do yourself. No solder required.
    Last edited by rodent; 05-07-2016 at 03:18 PM.

05 WW Evo VIII
    1003whp corrected
    9.7@155

I took the panel off and found some solid corrosion in both the connections. Now onto either figuring out if I want to replace the both male/female connections, or find somebody who knows a bit about soldering. I thought I might as well add some pics, so here they are. Notice, two pings broke off in the male connector in the process of disconnecting it, so cleaning will probably not be a solution.

Looks like you need to carefully one by one cut each wire on the front and back of the connectors and splice them together. Soldering is not a must, and crimping some simple barrel connectors will work fine. If you're dead set on soldering, you can also buy your own solder iron and practice on some junk wires laying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQvxXMlhOeo

05 WW Evo VIII
    1003whp corrected
    9.7@155

Platinum_MemberI'm Special migs's Avatar

Damn yeah that kick panel spot always seems to produce damn elect grims :/

Keep us posted
    Migs
    About me

I ended up going to Harbor Freight and picking up around 60 heat-shrink crimp connectors, along with 40ft of wire, and another 20ft of heat shrink. Instead of cutting the wires off the corroded connector and directly connecting the two ends, I added another 6" of wire between the two. I also but an extra layer of heat shrink over the crimp connections just to ensure a water-tight seal. I added a picture below of the completed product. Do to time limitations, I was only able to get the eight bottom-most wires (within the connector) completed, but that did the trick and my wipers/sprayers work again! My question is should I do the rest of the 20ish wires that are left, or now that everything works should I just leave it alone?

I'd go ahead and do them, but if you don't, I'd put some dielectric grease in the connection to help prevent any more corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortose View Post
    I'd go ahead and do them, but if you don't, I'd put some dielectric grease in the connection to help prevent any more corrosion.
    Good idea! I was going to take the inner fender liner off this weekend and put silicone all over the grommet between the engine bay and the dash. It seems that Mitsubishi didn't seal that junction properly, resulting in the electrical problems many Evo owners experience. Ill be sure to update the thread with pictures of the problem area when I get to it.