Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Buying a High Mileage 08 X MR

Default Thoughts on Buying a High Mileage 08 X MR

Hey there guys!

I just was hoping to get some feedback about buying a higher mileage 2008 X MR (122k miles). The owner will be taking it to a shop tonight to have an inspection done (Precision R Performance, San Antonio, TX). I was hoping you guys might have some tips when taking my first peek at the car, and what I should be looking out for? I am well versed in the CT9 area (I have owned 3), but minimal exposure to the newer chassis. I will post a link below from my thread on the Evo X forums with more information. Pics will also be included below.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...-evo-x-mr.html

Thanks!

I saw your thread over on evoM and I would go with everything they have said. I would get every inspection possible done. Compression, full inspection, everything. I know you said that the carfax was clean, but did you check the Autocheck?

Btw, I'll help you work on it if you trade me seats. ;-)

Platinum_MemberI'm Special migs's Avatar

Just a reminder its Texas...lots of highways, doesn't surprise me that its a bit highter, so hopefully its mainly hwy miles
    Migs
    About me

Quote Originally Posted by Mortose View Post
    I saw your thread over on evoM and I would go with everything they have said. I would get every inspection possible done. Compression, full inspection, everything. I know you said that the carfax was clean, but did you check the Autocheck?

Btw, I'll help you work on it if you trade me seats. ;-)
    Funny you say that, partial reason why I'm looking into this car. I mean the seats, engine, transmission, wheels, and diff would cover the asking price by themselves. As long as the car is mechanically competent and will get me home, no arguing this car is a decent deal. Most Ralliarts with similar mileage go for $13-14k in our neck of the woods.

Well, like I said, just get the full check out, also, I know there isn't a lot of bad winters down there, but check the condition of the acd (ayc, I get them mixed up) pump lines behind the passenger rear wheel. If those are corroded, then it very well could have water damage that wasn't reported.

Just got the report back from the shop, and the details of the report weren't too bad, but definitely something that is changing my mind. Here are the essential details of the inspection:

So most of the issues look correct for the age of the vehicle, but the mention of the "jerkiness" under acceleration definitely has me worried. Also the tech that I talked with on the phone said that the rear differential has excessive play, but did not have the time to further diagnose the issue under the time constraints of the inspection itself, another "check mark" on the negative side. Given the distance I'd have to travel in order to get the the car home, the question I'd have for you guys would be: WOULD YOU CONSIDER BUYING THIS VEHICLE FOR $13,800, AND IS THE PRICE WORTH JUSTIFYING THE ISSUES WITH THE VEHICLE??

eh walk away and spare the headache
    Migs
    About me

I'm with migs. I'd rather spend a little more to get something without so many issues. And a couple of those are set up to be pretty pricy. I know on one of the other forums that you mentioned taking theverything sst to jacks, and that is definitely not cheap. The rear diff could just be a seal, or it could be failing and needing rebuilt/replaced. And the ACD pump, those are 2 grand to replace if it needs it, since they did say it's low on fluid, either there is a leak, or its consuming fluid.

I wouldn't necessary say walk away. BUT I wouldn't offer full price.
    From my point of view, a lot of those things are wrench-able at home. Axles, seals, brakes, rotors, tie rod.
    The concerns are the ACD and the rear excessive play. Could just be bushings in the rear but i wonder what play he was referring too

Depending on what you want to use the car for....

Why not offer less, like 10K out the door?
    03 BBY Sparkle Motion, I doubt your Commitment to:

464hp TheBoostCreepLTD 404trq
    https://www.facebook.com/CUSportCarClub

^ I was thinking along those lines too Jay...just wonder if its already priced with those things in mind, but yeah if you can get it for 9-10K, sure, but that might not be realistic.
    Migs
    About me